BAI and UI words

Nick S. Nicholas <nsn@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au> writes:

> It's just that I'd like to see
> someone criticise lojban from within for a change. Not whether we should
> have UI words, but which UI words we can drop with impunity. I'm sure
> a couple of BAI words won't be missed.

Both UI and BAI are intentionally superinclusive.  In particular, one of the
motivations of BAI is to make sure that there corresponds an aspectual for
every place of every gismu, so that if you know the BAIs thoroughly you can
use them as a substitute for knowing the place structures.  We don't know for
sure if total coverage is achieved, the more so that we don't have firm
place structures for each and every gismu (and don't expect to for a while).

As for UI, the intent is not necessarily that you know them all, but that
you can find one to express any emotion you can feel, and emotion is a cultural
matter.  We just added one to express the emotion of "dependency", for
example, which seems to be a fundamental emotion in ponjo kulnu.

> These issues have to be raised by people outside the inner
> sanctum. I respect the folks in the inner sanctum and wouldn't mind
> joining them; but I want to make sure they don't get used to the sound
> of their own voices.

It is by raising such issues, and helping to find answers, that one
penetrates the inner sanctum.  I should know. :-)

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban