Performative

jimc@math.ucla.edu (Jim Carter) writes:
> Lojban has a performative aspect marker or sumti-tcita, doesn't it?

Not quite.  The performative marker in Lojban is an "evidential" (formerly
known as an "evidential", a term we're dropping because it's easily
confused with "observative").   It is "ca'e", which indicates that the
reason for the truth of the utterance is the speaker's definition.
"ca'e", like the other evidentials, has the free grammar of an indicator.

	ca'e doxipa speni doxire soivo'evo'a
	(I define!) You-sub-1 are-married-to you-sub-2 and-vice-versa.

"soivoe'vo'a" literally means "reciprocally (soi) between the 2nd place
of this bridi (vo'e) and the 1st place of this bridi (vo'a)."

The complete list of evidentials is:

ba'a      UI   I anticipate         I expect - I experience - I remember
ba'acu'i  *    I experience         I expect - I experience - I remember
ba'anai   *    I remember           I expect - I experience - I remember
ca'e      UI   I define             evidential: I define
ju'a      UI   I state              evidential: non-specific basis
ju'e      UI   I conclude           evidential: I conclude
ka'u      UI   I know culturally    evidential: I know by cultural means
pe'i      UI   I opine              evidential: I opine
ru'a      UI   I postulate          evidential: I postulate
se'o      UI   I know internally    I know by dream, revelation, etc.
su'a      UI   I generalize         evidential: generalize - concretize
su'anai   *    I particularize      evidential: abstract - particular
ti'e      UI   I hear               evidential: I hear
za'a      UI   I observe            evidential: I observe

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban