Set in extension (was: Nick tries valiantly...)

> Date:  Tue, 23 Apr 91 04:38:18 -0400
> To:  lojban-list@snark.thyrsus.com
> From:  Arthur Hyun <ash@rpi.edu>
> Subject:  Re: Nick tries valiantly to save face (His first sentence)

> * * *
> Perhaps I have a different idea of what a "set" is?  I don't really
> see how "mi lojbo jufra" is not a set, as it could be plural; that
> is, "my lojbanic-type-of sentences".  If this were the case, then
> it seems to me that it is, actually, a set--a set of those sentences
> of mine which are "lojbanic-type".

The distinction is between a set as a set, and a set in extension.  In
extension, the sentence is replicated once for each referent and the
effect is as if you had said N sentences about N individual referents.
In selection from a list, on the other hand, the referents have to
remain together as a set.

		-- jimc