Re: anaphor means what? (was: oops! correction)

kartr. jim. writes:
> And similarly for other articles in extension (le, le'e).  In Lojban an
> easy way to insure this is to define a sumti with <LE> to be
> an abbreviation for a restricted variable (da poi <bridi>), which
> unquestionably has the same referent everywhere it occurs in the sentence,
> for each member of the sentence's Cartesian expansion.

This "unquestionably" won't work for "le", which has nothing to do with
"da poi".  "le cribe" means "the thing I describe as a bear"; there is
no requirement that it really >be< a bear.  "lo cribe" is indeed closer
to "da poi cribe", except for the problem of the empty set I discussed
earlier.

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban