Re: Lojban Names.

Quoth Ivan.
>how about this:
>  {la'o .ing. New York .ing. goi la badyplis.}
>  {la'o .ing. Margaret Thatcher .ing. goi la tirnim.}

Hehe. In fact, there is nothing essentially wrong about this. Whether this
will become standard naming procedure is not for me to judge...

>and then, of course, you may assign a KOhA, which means end of trouble.

In fact, Lojbab's note on the introduction of a rafsi for {fo'a} (fo'a goi la
suomis. i le fo'arselsanga - A finnish song) strongly pushes towards such a
treatment.

>If you're looking for people who have never heard of latitude and
>longitude, New York might be a good place to go...

Without wishing to enter into what might just develop into a John vs. Ivan
situation: touch'e, messir! :)

Nick, who went with "o = e and "u = i because of Greek transliteration.
Hm. "o = e, "u = i? Though the form {tirki,e} sits very uncomfortably with
this Greek, I could live with it. On the other hand, I could also live with
{osteraix}.

Yes, ultimately this *is* all very silly, so if someone else wants to decide
a standard lojbanising phoneticisation, let them.

Snoperias. Now *that*'s funny.

OK then. The point of the standardised Lojbanisations (which, of course, noone
is obligated to use) is to be:

Consistent with orthodox Lojban phonology & morphology (no sg medials)
Not glico
Preferably related to the "native" form, preferably in a consistent manner
(for example, I'm assuming, by the place structure of {natmi} and {gugde},
that the name of the nation, rather than the name of the nation-member, is
to be used (frans, not franSEZ. rosi,a, not ruskii. [the cultural gismu
are another matter]. madiaroSAG, not madiar.)

Though taken to its natural conclusion this process is madness, and though
our Lojban reader will require good examples of the use of {la'o}, nonetheless
such standardised Lojbanisations are required, partly for the reasons Lojbab
has argued, partly for normalisation. *If* this accepted, then one starts
asking about the details. ESteraix or OSteraix? makedonia or makeDOni,a or
makeDOni,ia (I read the phonology guide as saying that, between two vowels,
, means a glide; that's why I omitted it.

Still, I'm keeping my mouth shut until things seem clearer to me; right now
they don't at all.