Jimbobs

The following very interesting exchange happened on conlang list:

Date: 16 Mar 92 00:00:10 EST
From: Don Harlow <72627.2647@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Reply to rgaskell

Bear with me for a moment. Much of the conlang discussion I've seen over
thirty years -- this includes not only a month and a half of the conlang list,
but also the Hardins' "International Language Review," various magazines
published by proponents of various language projects, etc. -- makes me think of
a group of would-be rock-climbers clustered at the foot of El Capitan, a
1000-meter sheer wall on the north side of Yosemite Valley, who are
arguing among themselves about the proper technique for starting their
climb to the top. Two or three have actually tried to start; a couple got three
meters off the ground and then fell back, bruising their _glutei maximi_
(_gluteos maximos_, but I don't want to offend anybody by using an accusative
ending) in the process, and one has actually attained the twenty meter level, is

gritting his teeth in sheer determination, and glumly contemplates the 980
meters
ahead of him. Meanwhile, the only thing the ones on the ground seem able to
agree on is that the guy at twenty meters up bought his equipment at a fire
sale and learned his climbing technique in a sandbox. They may be right; this
is,
after all, his first climb, too, just as it is theirs. One of them even shouts
at him
that if he had any consideration, he'd rapelle back to the ground and make way
for some _competent_ climbers.

(I should add that there's a gang of apes at the top who, every now and then
when they see someone actually climbing, will kick a 100-kg rock down at him
to try to knock him off. They own the top of the cliff, and don't want you to
forget it. If you doubt this, read Ulrich Lins's _La dan<gera lingvo_, all 500+
pages of it.)

As to proper climbing technique, the main question on which they cannot agree
is this: is the best tool with which to start our climb a three-legged stool, a
kitchen chair, or a Sears & Roebuck folding metal stepladder?

Stools, chairs and stepladders all have their places in climbing -- getting that

book off the top shelf, cleaning out the rain gutters, getting to the faucet
when
you're three years old. But they're out of place at the foot of El Capitan. In
other words, the climbers are asking the wrong question.

Similarly, if you're a scientific, experimental, literary, or simply curious
conlanger, questions about linguistic structure, vocabulary sources, etc. are
all important and valid ones. Not only that, they're fun to argue (if you
don't make the mistake of taking them too seriously). But if you're a "global"
conlanger -- a proponent of some particular conlang, or even of just any old
conlang, as a global interlanguage, they are ultimately irrelevant, or at
best only marginally relevant. Yeah, that stepladder's the best of the three --
it'll get you two meters off the ground, and leave you a mere 998 meters to
go, using techniques that have nothing whatsoever to do with stools,
chairs or stepladders.

[...]

Incidentally, that guy's still twenty meters up and climbing; he learned early
use pitons. And he's a lot more worried about those apes at the top than he is
about you. Maybe you can pass him while he's sleeping. Maybe he'll fall
off when he tries to sling a hammock. Maybe the apes will hit him with a
rock. Maybe, once you actually start climbing, they'll hit _you_ with a rock!