Re: Watching TV

Hi

Total aside from Lojban.

Mark writes:

>Actually, I still don't think we really *must* have the causal link.  The
>English doesn't have it, nor does it have to be seen as implied.  "So long
>as you haven't started sitting up straight (during the time before you
>start doing so), you are forbidden from watching TV."  Doesn't imply that
>you'll be permitted to watch afterwards, not necessarily.  And just as
>well, I might find some other reason to forbid you by then.

It seems that parents are just as authoritarian in Lojbania as they are in
many other parts of the world, and that forbidding telly watching is
regarded as a punishment. Most of what I have seen on the idiot box
convinces me we have got it wrong, to me the ultimate horror would be to be
condemned to watch telly for n hours per day, particularly if it was one of
the continuous soap channels.

Here in New Zealand, we had a National Switch Off week to coincide with
National Library week. It was great, ratings dropped quite significantly and
people sat around talking and reading books (those that could still read
that is, large quantities of the population have forgotten how and were
standing in libraries vainly trying to open books along the spine) (yes I
dio jest (%}

Have fun, and don't watch too much telly - write Lojban instead.

Chris Handley                                     chandley@otago.ac.nz
Dept of Computer Science                       Ph     (+64) 3-479-8499
University of Otago                           Fax     (+64) 3-479-8577
Dunedin, NZ

      "Bet you 3 to 1 that fixing that bug will introduce three more"