TECH: And's question re anaphora

 From: Mr Andrew Rosta <ucleaar@uk.ac.ucl>

> Would anyone be willing to explain these (ri-series, go'i series, KOHA,
> GOHA)? I was trying to puzzle it out in the context of the ckafybarja
> commentary in the latest ju'i lobypli, but couldn't. (God knows how one
> is supposed to learn what the ri-series is: do some people have access
> to anything more informative than a BNF grammar and a cmavo list that
> has cmavo descriptions of only two or three words?)

The ri-series is in selma'o KOhA, ie pro-sumti.

ri      = anaphora for the last-mentioned sumti
ra      = anaphora for a recent sumti
ru      = anaphora for a long-ago sumti

ko'a etc are also in KOhA:
ko'a, ko'e, ko'i, ko'o, ko'u, fo'a, fo'e, fo'i, fo'o, fo'u

all stand for any sumti you wish. They are typically assigned explicitly by
'goi', and then used repeatedly with constant referent; but in isolated
examples, and even sometimes in narrative, people have been using them without
assignment.

GOhI are pro-bridi: they stand for a whole predication.
go'a      GOhA     recent bridi
go'e      GOhA     penultimate bridi
go'i      GOhA     last bridi
go'o      GOhA     following bridi
go'u      GOhA     earlier bridi
nei       GOhA     current bridi
When you use them, they repeat the whole bridi, with all its sumti; but you
can override some of the sumti, or reassign anaphora.
One of the most common uses is
le go'i = 'the x1 of the previous bridi' which in my opinion only works
because of the subjectivity of 'le'.