Types of quantification

One reason to differentiate between {vo da poi} and {vo [lo]}
is that

               le kanba cu se tuple vo da

says that 'the goat has four legs, no less, no more' (according
to the discussion a couple of years back). If {vo [lo]} would
equal {vo da poi}, it would be impossible to say

               mi citka vo plise

without claiming that during all my life I eat exactly 4 apples
(if truth values are to be determined over all eternity as Jorge
maintains). In everyday life it is, however, necessary to be able
to make claims which have a limited IMPLICIT scope.

Using {da poi} for existential veridical claims which can be
logically manipulated and {lo} for these 'everyday' veridical claims
would remove a large class of usage problems. So {mi citka lo plise}
would just claim that I eat four apples within an unspecified frame
of reference without the claim becoming false if I eat a fifth one
one minute later.

Some kind of separation is, IMHO, necessary in order to avoid an
immense lot of trouble - if the language is ever to be used for
something even remotely approaching normal conversation.

--

  co'o mi'e veion

.i mi du la'o sy. Veijo Vilva sy.