Re: Mystery message

> Thanx for the clues but apparently something I did the second time worked.
> First time: machine to mailer by xmodem sb-rb , into pine mail program by
> Read file in the Compose menu.  The result had ^M at the end of each line
> and various other places. Despite the claim that it would be cleaned up
> in process, you have seen the results.

Aha.  The ^M is CR as in CR-LF, the DOS end-of-line delimiter.  Since Unix
uses only LF, DOS text files look to Unix like files with a ^M at the
end of each line.  Since Unix doesn't think text contains control characters
other than LF, TAB, and maybe FF (^L) and backspace, Pine interpreted your
message as non-text and used the base64 encoding suitable for binary files
(see my earlier message).

> Second time, several changes (alas, I'll never know what works now):
> xmodemmed as text not binary (my machine doesn't have fancy stuff like
> zmodem), sucked up to pine as before but this time justied in the Compose
> mode.  However, the ^M's were already not there to begin with.  Go
> figure! I have most of what you all received, so I am trying to crack the
> code.

The "xmodem as text" probably did the conversion to Unix format (stripping
the CR/^M characters).

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.