Re: Cowan's summary: opacity and sumti-raising

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> > I don't know about "seek", but "look for" doesn't have to involve an
> > abstraction. "I am looking for my book" is perfectly transparent, and
> > I don't see why {sisku} can't be used for it.

The point is that "sisku" doesn't mean "seek/look for", but rather
"seek/look for something with a specified property".  The reason for doing
this is that seeking very frequently involves something that is -specific
but where we do not wish to commit ourselves with a +existent locution.
The degenerate case "I'm looking for my book (+specific)" becomes "I'm looking
for something with the property of being my book", i.e.

	mi sisku le ka du le mi cukta
	mi sisku tu'a le mi cukta

However, if we say "I'm looking for an English translation of Jorge de
Montemayor's >Diana<", the "le ka" formulation saves us from error even
if there is no such translation.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.