Re: TECH: query about gihe ...

cu'u la .and.
> (1)
> "You like a mother more than I do" is:
>    Do mi zmadu lo ni/ka nelci lo mamta
> "There is a mother that you like more than me" is:
>    Da poi mamta zohu do mi zmadu lo ni/ka nelci da
> Now, I want to (concisely) say "You like your mother more than I like
> mine". Will the following work?
>    Do mi zmadu lo ni/ka nelci gihe se mamta

I think so, although I would tend to use a construction like
that only for special effect.

> Is it better to say:
>    Do mi zmadu lo ni/ka nelci gihe se mamta vau zohe
> ?

This is formally identical to the preceding, and for my money
the change of emphasis doesn't work very well.  It might work
better with {da} instead of {zo'e}.

But why not use an explicit reference

   Do mi zmadu lo ni/ka nelci lo mamta be le nei

(I was going to suggest

   Do mi zmadu lo ni/ka nelci lo mamta be xa'e da

but that comes out as "Your mother is liked more than mine"
unless you stick another {xa'e da} in {nelci}'s x1.)
--
Iain Alexander (ia@stryx.demon.co.uk)