Re: whiskey lovers

> >> No, because there is no claim that the typical-generic englishman likes
> >> whisky, though I concede that the claim is made that the typical-generic
> >> englishman that likes whisky acquires the liking.
> >
> >Oh, you wanted THAT claim? :) Even simpler: {lo'e glipre cu pu'o vusnei
> >la .uiskis.} should state that... Typical Englishman is (at least at one
> >time) before beginning to like whiskey.
>
> Goran is of course from a place thatuses perfective tenses, so I tend to
> trust this.  I would have said:
>
> lo'e glipre cu binxo lo vusnei be la .uiskis.

Same thing, just if one has tense to express something it is much shorter
than using gismu IMHO... ta'o do ba'e not believe me because I'm a Croat.
Croatian has aspects, they are important, but 1) my use of them is mostly
unconscious, and I'd have to think what I speak to realise when I use
which aspect; and 2) Croatian distinguishes imperfective from perfective
aspect, and we all know lojban has much more than that. Anticipative,
specifficaly, which I have used in this sentence, is not something that
can be expressed in Croatian. I think this sentence is correct and nice
and conveys the intended meaning but is a result of my lojbo-linguistic
rather than my Slavic instincts. If you don't like it, don't be afraid
to say so just because I have some aspects in my native language.

[ta'o OFF TOPIC for interested: our aspect system is more complicated
than that: we have the aspect distinction in our morphology, but also in
our lexics(sp?). Like, semantically there are several types of verbs:
durative (ca'o), iterative (||||), momentary (co'i), factitive
(causative form of the stative verbs), pantive, totive (activity, both,
but in totive verbs stages are not discernible, while in pantive they
are), inchoative (co'a), finitive (mo'u), deminutive, augmentative (form
expressing action of lesser/greater duration or activity than the
activity usually requires), intensive (state the activity of great
intensity that has developed, or is developing, to the maximum intensity
the subject is willing to give it) and several others not related to
aspect. Some verbs are in several of those categories. Then there is
gramatical aspect. All of the above verbs divide in two main categories:
perfective and imperfective. Most verbs come in pf-impf. pairs. Some
verbs can be both. Now there are tenses that only imperfective verbs
can take. Very complicated. Anyway, no equivalent to lojbo anticipative.]

> lojbab

co'o mi'e. goran.

--
Learn languages! The more langs you know, the more incomprehensible you can get
e'udoCILreleiBANgu.izo'ozo'onairoBANguteDJUnobedocubanRI'a.ailekadonaka'eSELjmi