lesson 1, exercises (from the draft text)

coi

I'm stuck.  I've been working through the draft textbook and i've
run out of exercises in lesson 1 (1-7 and 1-8 don't have exercises
in my copy of the text :-P ) and i don't have answers for a lot of the
questions.  Therefore, i'm posting this to see if anyone out there
can correct the errors and comment so i don't get much further
without understanding what i've supposedly learned already.

I've omitted the 'easy' answers (look up the brivla) to save space.  I
really did look them up in the back of the text before i discovered the
list at the end of the lesson.

I also omitted exercise 1-1 entirely as it does not deal directly
with issues concerning using the language itself.

exercise 1-2
larnuntoi papi'eremoi

( nothing in this one other than 'look up the following brivla' )

exercise 1-3
larnuntoi papi'ecimoi

part 1

please note: these answers are given based solely upon the information
presented in the text of the exercise.

1. herself (Mary)
2. Pete (i hope... though she could be talking to the apple :-)
3. himself (Pete)
4. Mary (unless he is also a bit loopy and is talking to his chair)
5. Peter
6. the chair in the room
7. the blue thing (the table)
8. the apple
9. the door (basis for answer: he's pointing to the door)
10. sumti

part 2

( omitted )

part 3

1.  the person
2.  the red thing
3.  the small thing
4.  the giver
5.  the table/flat surface
6.  the goer
7.  le plise ku
8.  le cpana ku

exercise 1-4
larnuntoi papi'evomoi

part 1

1.  Fred sits on the table
2.  i give this to Alice
3.  the one standing hits the one sitting with (the one standing)'s head
    impacting at/in the apple
    (le sanli ku cu darxi le zutse ku le stedu ku le plise ku)
    I think either the sumti order changed with the brivla "darxi". I
    would like to think that what happened is someone hit someone in
    the head with an apple.

part 2

( 1 - 5 omitted as 'look up the brivla' exercises )

6.  do cu prenu
7.  mi cu stedu le plise ku
8.  la tavla ku cu blanu
9.  ta cu klama le zarci ku le blanu ku le tanxe ku le karce ku
10. do ti la fred. cu dunde
11. le tanxe ku le plise ku cu tavla le botpi ku la lojban.

exercise 1-5
larnuntoi papi'emumoi

1.  the bottle is smaller than (the) usual (bottle)
2.  the car hit me in the leg
3.  that is a book (about by someone, about some topic, for some audience)
4.  (somethings are) books
5.  (somethings are) blue
6.  (something is) standing on the table
7.  Alice is coming here from there
8.  the usual is the arm of the person
9.  (someone/thing) gives it to me
10. 4, 5, 6, and 9
11. ti cu cukta zo'e la crlok. xolms. zo'e zo'e
12. la susan. cu zutse zu'i
13. la fred. cu tavla la djan. zo'e la lojban.
14. cpana le jubme ku
15. ta prenu
16. la crlok. xolms. cu klama zo'e la london. zo'e le karce ku
17. (sorry... i really can't even think of one using 'attack')

exercise 1-6
larnuntoi papi'examoi

1.  (the thing lying on the car) is a box
2.  that thing over there is the head of ( the thing which is smaller than
     the leg)
3.  The sneezer's head is red
4.  Fred's head is lying on Susan's arm
5.  The one-speaking-in-lojban sits on me
6.  it sits on the box
7.  it (something else) speaks to me about you
8.  this is a book by Marie Antoinette about Carl deGaul, intended for
     the people (as an audience) (Man, that one was tough to translate
     back into _reasonable_ English)
9.  mi cu darxi le birka be do be'o ku
10. le senci ku cu sanli le cukta be zo'e bei la crlok. xolms. be'o ku
11. le tanxe be le bikla ku be'o cu cpana le tanxe be le botpi ku be'o ku
12. do klama le zarci be le tanxe ku bei la .alis. be'o ku
13. le dunda be le cmalu ku bei la djan. be'o ku

That's all for lesson 1.  I am almost afraid to go on to lesson 2
without corrections (especially for exercise 1-6).

ki'e
.i fe'omi'e la glyn. tomas. gau,ing.

(Dr. Glyn Thomas Gowing)