sarji

and mentioned the desirability of forging new metaphorical paths.

I think we have done so do some extent already.  I know that I have
caused some consternation by describing a river delta as "rirxe gaxno" %^)

But having been heavily into my Russian studies in recent weeks, I am
recurringly in awe of how much Russian is "malglico" metaphors.  Either
a lot of common metaphors have been borrowed, or the semantic wordings
have surived the eveolution from proto-Indoeuropean times, or the
languages have independently reinvented the same metaphors.

Thus the Russian word for "find" is has the prefix for "upon" attached
to the root for come/go, i.e.  "find" = "come upon".  This kind of
parallel use of prepositional prefixes seems to occur all over the
language.  But there are a lot of set phrases that seem virtuallyu like
word-for-word translation of (what I might have assumed was) English
idiom too, based on my Lojban work.

lojbab