Re: Quantifiers (was Re: A modest proposal #2: verdicality)

la djan cusku di'e
> > How do I select two of them?
> You say "re lu'a le nanmu ce le ninmu ce le verba [lu'u]"; this is one
> of the functions of the lu'a-lu'o-lu'i group. You should use "ce",
> making a set, rather than "joi", making a mass, so that the parts will
> split up as you expect, rather than as (say) "The man's ear and the
> mass of the the woman's nose and the boy's duodenum."  (Contra Jorge, there
> are several clear-cut uses for sets in Lojban.)

I beg to disagree.  {re lu'a le nanmu ku joi le ninmu ku joi le verba}
can't be "the man's ear and the woman's nose".  The mass is composed of
three elements:  the man, the woman and the child, and you are selecting
two of them.  Neither the man's nose, nor the man's going to the market,
nor the man's grandparents are members of the mass.  Otherwise, where do
you stop?  Please don't invoke inalienable possession or anything like
that.  Those are possessions of the mass, not its components.

Jorge