Re: {farlu}

la dilyn cusku di'e
> I, on the other hand, have no particular problem with the x4.  Recall
> it can be a gravity well or frame of reference.  In almost all cases,
> it's going to be {le terdi}, but in SF stories, for instance, it might
> have a different value.  Alternatively, you could perhaps say {le
> sraji}.

Well, maybe you're right.

> Umm... Check again.  {xlali} does have a standard in my list.

Right, I was looking at the second line of the definition.

>  > Why does
>  > {curmi} have "under conditions" but not {gasnu}?
>
> For this one, I can see a reason: {gasnu} refers to an actual event,
> while {curmi} is a counterfactual: x1 would allow x2 to happen in
> conditions x3.

But that's not the way to express counterfactuals in Lojban.  {mi ca'a
curmi le nu ti farlu} means "I let this fall", not "I would actually let
this fall under certain conditions".  The conditions are the ambient
conditions, just like with any other predicate.

You could equally well argue that {gasnu} needs an x3 to say "x1 would
bring about x2 under conditions x3".

>  > My hope is that all those places will simply be forgotten for lack
>  > of use, since I doubt that I could convince Lojban Central to drop
>  > them.
>
> Do you think we could organize a rebellion :-)?  (No, I'm not really
> proposing another split.  I am half-seriously contemplating listing my
> own versions of various gismu with texts I write.)

But that's too cumbersome, and we can't have each user using their own
version of the language.  I prefer that they be gradually forgotten by
the collective memory...  :)

mu'o mi'e xorxes