phonology

lojbab
> So this may or may not help.  If the [B] you are referring to is a
> strident or continuent, it should be mapped as /v/; if it is a stop
> and/or non-strident it should be mapped as /b/.  If it overlaps these
> two categories or some of the others mentioned above, then it is not a
> single Lojban phoneme at all, and will probably be mapped differently by
> different speakers.

>From context it is clear that the [B] under discussion is a voiced
bilabial fricative, IPA beta. (Small cap B is voiced bilabial trill.)
I wouldn't be happy to classify phones in terms of stridency.
Phonologically, if there were a /B/ v. /v/ contrast, /B/ wd be nonstrident
and /v/ strident. /B/ wd also be continuant. In English, [B] gets heard
as /b/ or /v/, depending on context - la[B]our = labour, but fa[B]our
= favour. Lojban will be the same, unless there is an explicit rule
making [B] an allophone of /v/ or /b/ - I understand that it is an
official allophone of /v/.

---
And