Re: Buffer and Vowel phonology

la lojbab. cusku di'e

> > but just as you can susbstitute any unvoiced non-Lojban consonant
> > sound for the apostrophe, and get away with it, as long as you keep
> > things distinct, vowels should work just as well.

la .and. cusku di'e

> Is that still allowed? I thought that licence had been rescinded! And
> there's me doing [h]s when I cd have been doing voiceless bilabial
> trills!

You can use an alternative voiceless fricative if you think the listener
benefits thereby (i.e. when speaking to a listener who can hear [T] better
than [h], e.g.).  Vowel buffering, OTOH, is supposed to be for the speaker's
benefit, which is naljbo at best.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.