Re: TECH: PROPOSED GRAMMAR CHANGE X1: BAI afterthought connectives

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> CHANGE X1
>
> PRESENT LANGUAGE:
>
> BAIs and other tags can be used as forethought connectives but
> not in afterthought.
>
> PROPOSED CHANGE:
>
> Add "tag BO" as a joik. (Essentially BAI BO can be used wherever {joi} can
> be used.
>
> RATIONALE:
>
> The possibility of using them as connectives already exists. This would
> simply allow the afterthought form to be used as well. Some of them are very
> useful (and have already been used in practice) e.g. maubo, me'abo, du'ibo,
> ba'ibo.

In general, "tag BO" can't be a joik, because joiks have to be compounded
by the preparser, and thus can't include "fi'o...fe'u" type tags.  I
considered "stag BO" as a kind of joik, but I note that we already have
joik-bos, and it seems to me that having

	.abu joibo by. du'ibo cy. joidu'ibo dy.

group as

	(.abu joibo by.) du'ibo (cy. joidu'ibo dy.)

is very counterintuitive: the three "-bo" connectives leads one to expect

	.abu joibo (by. du'ibo (cy. joidu'ibo dy.))

since "bo" implies right grouping.

So what about allowing "stag BO" as a new kind of joik-bo, side by side
with the existing "joik BO" and "joik stag BO"?  That would allow its use in
sumti, selbri, operands, and operators, but not elsewhere.  YACC does not
complain.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.