Re: your mail

la stivn. cusku di'e

> Guilty again. There are two reasons. First, I have already been writing too
> much about fuzziness, and this is the lojban list. I am more interested in
> putting fuzziness into lojban than in being a fuzzy missionary.

Hear, hear!

> Right, which is why I argue that the definition of a word should be clearly
> differentiated from the scale being used when the word is part of an
> utterance. This could be done either by building a formal mechanism in
> lojban for adding scale to an expression, or by making a separate
> definition of each gismu for each scale. For *most* gismu, this would mean
> that 2 or 3 of the scale-specific definitions would be [unspecified]. I'm
> sure lojbab would have no objection to redoing the entire dictionary,
> quadrupling its size in the process, so as to provide all the extra
> scale-specific definitions, most of the additions being [unspecified]! :-)

Ho.  Anyhow, there is a BAI "ci'u" (from "ckilu") which allows adding
scales to any bridi judgment.

> Wait a second. SNOBOL is *not* dead.

Quite apart from SNOBOL itself, the spirit of S. lives on in Icon.

> [T]he high sea refers to those parts of the sea within the
> jurisdiction of the British courts of admiralty, that is, not within the
> jurisdiction of any nation The meme is very old, the OED gives a C.E. date
> of 1000 for the first occurrence of heahs=E6 in Old English. (Thus,
> pre-Norman) It has the same sense as high-way does for roads: There are no
> (treaty or nautical) impediments to navigation on the high sea. Of course
> there might be the equivalent of highwaymen (pirates!)

Two notes:  Highwaymen used to call themselves "Gentlemen of the Road"
corresponding to the pirate term "Gentlemen of the Sea".

Since every indictment had to be in the body of some English county, it
was commonplace in indictments for piracy (which is robbery and/or murder
on the high seas) to specify the place of the crime as "the high sea,
in the county of Middlesex"!

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.