zifloj

THe following are extracts from an article in BYTE, dec. 1994.  The
analogies to our situation in lojban are so obvious I do not need to
state them.

"The free software world has attracted a growing army of highly talented
engineers, many of whom turn out software that rivals or surpasses
commercial products. ... Free BSD is one of them.

HISTORY
The very foundations of modern TCP/ICP networking were developed for
BSD.

The Computer Systems Resources group [circa 1978] also took what was
then an unusual step in releasing two versions-- BSD and BSD Lite. The
latter version was BSD with all the AT&T-licensed code removed, making
it legal to distribute it freely.

THE FUTURE OF THE FREEBSD PROJECT

It's difficult to predict the future with any degree of accuracy where
any voluteer project is concerned.  But if enthusiasm and drive have
anything to do with it, the FreeBSD Project has a bright future indeed.
Far from resting on its laurels, the team is looking for fresh
challenges.

[caps by djer]

HAVING SPLIT DEVELOPMENT INTO INTO TWO BRANCES, "-STABLE" (I.E.
SEMIFROZEN) AND "-CURRENT"(I.E. IN FLUX), A LARGE NUMBER OF DEVELOPERS
HAVE BEEN FREED TO CONCENTRATE ON NEW SOLUTIONS WITHOUT SACRIFICING
STABILITY.

There are far more desired projects than there are people to do them, so
volunteers are always welcome. Those interested.. mail .. which is open
to all.

Free software has always been a powerful concept, but organized free
software has proven considerably more powerful still.  As long as there
are people willing to pledge time and energy to keep the organized
efforts alive, growth and quality in the free-software world will
continue at a rapid pace. "
JORDAN HUBBARD

courtesy of djer