Re: Lojban's imperfections?

>   1.  In Lojban, why is the first argument of a predicate put before that
>   predicate?  ... Shouldn't the predicate be first, and then its
>   arguments?

The reason is historical. The default is SVO in lojban, because James Cooke
Brown decided it ought be that way in Loglan (see the 1960 Scientific
American article by Brown). Loglan was an early version of lojban. He did
this for reasons that have never been particularly clear to me, but he
might have had a good reason, and the language is flexible enough so it
really doesn't matter very much. I would prefer to follow the predicate
logic form where the predicate is initial (or equivalently, terminal). If
you want, you can put the predicate at the beginning, at the cost of a fi.
(Sorry, thats the best pun I can manage with my limited lojban)

-Steven

Steven Belknap, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria