_The Linguistics Wars_

Having read Randy Allen Harris's book _The Linguistics Wars_, I come
to the following conclusion:

	If we all spoke Lojban, generative semantics would
	be the obvious, if not the only conceivable, theory
	of language.

Some may take this as a denunciation of Lojban, I suppose.  :-)

I am particularly taken with the wonderful sentence:

	Spiro conjectures Ex-Lax [an American brand of laxative]

which looks grammatical but utterly senseless without its context,
which is:

	Does anyone know what Pat Nixon frosts her cakes with?

--
John Cowan						cowan@ccil.org
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban