length

We seem to be getting down to one of those classic problems in reference /
categorisation  - "long" relative to what?  Classical set theory regards
the adj.+noun set as the intersection of the set referred to by the
adjective and the set referred to by the noun; thus "pink elephant" would
be the intersection of the set of pink things with the set of elephants.
This does not work for scalar adjectives, however, since "small galaxy" is
not the intersection of the set of small things with the set of galaxies,
but something like "the subset of galaxies which are small relative to the
normal size of a galaxy".

With "long", we therefore have two ideas: long as in "2 metres long", and
long as in "longer than the average / what you'd expect."  "Length", I
think, only refers to the first sense.

Robin