Re: clani

> It was concepts like "length" that "ni" was invented to express.
> I think it works with the current place structure.  It did not with
> JCB's original place structure for "clani" (which was x1 is longer than x2)

Though Jorge wasn't talking about "ni", I think his point is still
good: the abstract property of "length" is "ka mitre", and "length"
of something (a measure) is "ni mitre".  "ni clani", or "amount of
longness" is different.  A (subjectively) long thing has "some"; a
subjectively short thing has none.  A subjectively very long thing
has a lot.  Similarly, a long thing has no amount of shortness, and
a very short thing has a lot of shortness.

Otherwise, you have the counter-intuitive result of:

    ta na clani
    .i le ni clani cu cmalu

I'm with Jorge; both the short thing and the long thing have both
"ka mitre" and "ni mitre", but the short thing has /neither/ "ka
clani" nor "ni clani".  Something with very little "ni clani" is
still "clani", just not very much so.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,