Re: The design of Lojban

> [Some musing about the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, including the idea
> that it can be tested not only by having a language as free as
> possible of restrictions, but also by having specific ones.]

Yes, it's actually the restrictions that are more interesting to study,
and that have been the subject of much study in existing languages.
Most such studies don't support the strong SWH, but a few (like the
color names study) may support the weaker notion that language does have
some effect on thought/perception, if not limiting it.

> Also, some specifics of Lojban:
> In English, "or" can mean either inclusive-or (and/or) or exclusive-or
> (either-or).  Is there an unambiguous separation of the two
> interpretations in Lojban?

Not only is there that separation, but every other logical operation
one can imagine, and some I can't.

> In English, relationships are represented by (or are at least ambiguous
> with) ownership.  "My sister's husband" implies that my sister owns her
> husband, and also that I own my sister.  In Lojban is there a way to
> make references to relationship without implying ownership?

Yes.  {le mi mensi} means "the sister somehow associated with me", not
"the sister owned by me".  In this case, the association is clear from
context.  In others, e.g. {le mi karce},  it is less clear, and ownership
will probably be a default assumption without further context, but the
language is clear that it doesn't specify that.  Certainly even some
cases where ownership is possible another relationship makes more sense:
{le mi zdani} is probably the house I live in, whether I own it or not.
If you want to clearly state ownership, you can with {poi mi ponse...},
and you can state other associations as well.

> I assume that Lojban has gender-neutral "pronouns."  Does it also have
> gender-specific ones, or must gender be specified only by using a
> gender-neutral one and then using a separate, explicit modifier to
> specify gender?

Not only does it have no gender-specific pronouns, it has no human-
specific ones.  If you want to point to a man and say he's large, you
say {ta bardu}, exactly the same thing you'd say pointing to a large
house.  That's one reason why there are "series" of pronouns, so that
you can have two or three pronouns expressly assigned referents for
a coversation.  But any of them can be assigned to any referent.

> However, how are we ever to convince the Eskimos of Greenland to learn
> Lojban?  They use base 20.  (We can ignore the Babylonians, who used
> base 60, because they're all dead.  No hard feelings.)  Also, are there
> any _symbols_ beyond 0, 1, 2 ,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 ?
> [also comment on using H for ']

Wasn't aware of a base-20 culture.  They are indeed out of luck, unless
they use subscripted digits or something (awkward, but still possible
within Lojban).  No, there are no digit symbols for the hex digits A-F.
In written text, numbers are generally spelled out in roman letters--
each digit is only two letters.  But since Arabic numerals will likely
continue to be used in other contexts, Arabic-style digits might be an
interesting idea.

Orthography is really a separate issue from the "language" itself.
One could write Lojban in other ways--If I had all the money and time
at my disposal, I might develop a gestural form and ideographic form
of Lojban.  If you want to use Hs, use them; it just makes it a little
harder to explain that "cehu" is really one syllable sometimes, etc.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,