Re: Dvorak (& Lojban)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 bob@megalith.rattlesnake.com wrote:

>    ... as far as being able to maintain both QWERTY and Dvorak skills
>    at once, ... so far I can say that my speed in Dvorak just keeps
>    picking up, but my QWERTY skills have not diminished in the
>    slightest!
>

> This interests me.  Please keep us apprised of your progress.  In
> typewriter days, I used Dvorak, but I shifted back to qwerty when I
> started working for a computer company where I used many different
> keyboards (and at first they did not have a Dvorak layout anyhow; they
> had to modify their kernel).  Later, I feared I would stumble over my
> fingers if I tried to keep up skills in both keyboards, so now I still
> use qwerty, but if you are successful, I might try to relearn Dvorak.

Cool. The main difference I can see between myself and the other guy who
was writing about learning Dvorak is that he seemed bent on destroying his
QWERTY skills to the point of actually forcing himself to type with two
fingers in QWERTY to hamper his fluency. And he was using total immersion
learning. I, on the other hand, have no reservations about using BOTH
Dvorak AND QWERTY during the course of the day, so I consider that I've
had a lot of time to get used to the differences between the layouts.

>    ... I have found and downloaded a set of 29 Dvorak lessons from the
>    Internet - I am currently on lesson 6.
>
> Quick question: where are they?

The URL for the guy's home page is http://www.mit.edu/~jcb, and then after
that you can follow the links to a set of text lessons that he's adapted
to HTML, by Dan Wood.

Geoff