(Fwd) even if

Some people were wondering about "even". Here is a message
about it from another list.

--And.

Date:          Mon, 20 Oct 1997 15:04:11 +0200 (METDST)
From:          Delgado Lavin Eva <fipdelae@vc.ehu.es>
To:            relevance@phonetics.ucl.ac.uk
Subject:       even if

Dear relevance listers:
I have been thinking about 'even' (among other focus expressions) for
years as part of my PhD research; in fact, I am really interested in
accounting for 'even-if' conditionals, but this can only be done if one
understands what 'even' and 'if' contribute separately to the compound
'even if'.  My contribution to the list today will focus on 'even'.
        As J. Bennett pointed out in his now classical (1982) paper on
'even', an even-utterance like the one below communicates three sorts of
assumptions (a rough paraphrase of each of which is given):

Even Max tried on the pants