Re: abstractor place structures

At 11:37 PM -0700 10/24/97, Logical Language Group wrote:
[snip]
>What I mean by these comments is that out of the mass of all events of
>da mitre li pa, we distil an idea or set of properties that constitute the
>concept of "meter".  But a meter is not a set of properties, it is a thing
>that has those properties.
[snip]

This certainly sounds as though you were asleep when you wrote it. Are you
being Platonist? Anyway, 'mitre' has to stand for a relation, not a thing
or a set of properties.

No, wait, I think I see what you mean. Sorry, typical nalojbo ambiguity.
'ro mitre' refers to a set of things that each have this relation to some
measuring operation and theory of measurement. Ok, so 'le mitre' describes
a thing, or at any rate some concept I am describing as a thing, while
'mitre' itself is a relation, as required.

Perhaps we need to use some signs, like quotes or Quine's square corners,
to indicate the way we are talking about words and texts.

co'o mi'e ed.
.i e'osai la lojban pluka ko
<http://xiron.pc.helsinki.fi/lojban/>