xebro

   Date:     Tue, 11 Jun 91 14:16:33 EDT
   From: "Arthur W. Protin Jr." (GC-ACCURATE) <protin@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
			  But clearly JHVH is a name, not a descriptor,
   not a predicate.

Completely aside from the theological content of this discussion, you
have hit on a point that has bugged me about Loglan for twenty
years: I am not entirely convinced that distinguishing names and
predicates is such a good idea after all.  Is not a name merely a
predicate that you are pretty sure happens to be satisfied by a
single thing (whatever a "thing" is)?  And of course there are all
those science fiction stories about Jack Armstrong (or Tom Swift, or
whoever) travelling to the future (or past) and meeting himself---and
suddenly the name doesn't have a unique referent any more, for in
such stories we mean "Jack Armstrong" really to name each of them and
both of them, in a sense different from two unrelated persons
happening to be named "Jack Armstrong".

I am Guy Steele.
I am Guy-Steele-ish.
I satisfy the Guy-Steele predicate.
I have the Guy-Steele nature.
I wish there were two Guy Steeles.

Tina Turner has the Mick-Jagger nature.
Fabian was Bobby-Darin-ish.

Luciano-Pavarotti can Enrico-Caruso better than anyone else alive today.

And so on.

--Guy Steele