Re: names as predicates

la gais. stil. (la glis.?) cusku di'e:
> I am not entirely convinced that distinguishing names and
> predicates is such a good idea after all.  Is not a name merely a
> predicate that you are pretty sure happens to be satisfied by a
> single thing (whatever a "thing" is)?

For this purpose, the "me" particle was introduced into the language:
it turns an argument (often a name argument) into a predicate.

> I am Guy Steele.
> I am Guy-Steele-ish.
> I satisfy the Guy-Steele predicate.
> I have the Guy-Steele nature.

mi me la glis. (predicate version)
mi du la glis. (identity-sentence version)
mi'e glis. (non-predicative, self-vocative = "I hight GLS")

> I wish there were two Guy Steeles.

mi djica re da poi me la glis.
I desire two somethings which-are GLS-ish.

> Tina Turner has the Mick-Jagger nature.

la tinas. tr,nr. me la mik. djag,r.

> Fabian was Bobby-Darin-ish.

la feibi,n. pu me la babis. derin.

> Luciano-Pavarotti can Enrico-Caruso better than anyone else alive today.

la lutcian. pavarot. ne semau ro da poi cabna jmive prenu
	cu xamgu me la .enrik. karus.
Luciano Pavarotti, more-than all those who-are (presently living) persons
	is-a-good Enrico-Caruso-er.

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban