Wallops #7

>Date: Sat, 29 Feb 92 14:46:19 +1100
>From: nsn@mullian.ee.Mu.OZ.AU

>>>la men. lu .i mu'i la'edi'u ko stagau le greblo gi'e denpa .iku'i da poi na
 se
>>>ponse mi cuka'e se lebna do tai ma.ianai li'u
>>Does this {gi'e} imply a temporal sequence?
>Actually, um, er, {.ije} *is* taken to imply a temporal sequency in
>"storytelling time", so I assumed {gi'e} can too. If this doesn't convince
>"the people", then {gi'ebabo} isn't that hard...

Yes, {.ije} implies story time, but I think that {gi'e} doesn't.  Consider
the "when Adam dolve and Eve span" line we had before.  Granted, that was
done in forethought, but that shouldn't matter.  The implication was that
Adam was delving and Eve spinning at around the same time, not one after
the other.  You need {gi'ebabo} or {ce'o}.

>>>la men. lu .i loi dembrlupino. do'a kujo'u le sanmi pe la xekates. tosa'a
>Um, {loi} does mean "at least some of the whole mass of", so I don't see the
>problem with its use here.

Yes, but.  Granted, it's only part of the whole, but doesn't {loi} usually
imply the the part on behalf of the whole?  Not all of the mass of birds
fly, but most do, and so the whole can be considered to, and even a
minority can be considered to, so long as there's some implication to the
whole?  I'm really shaky on this whole "mass" thing in the first place, but
I remember lojbab and jimc mumbling some stuff about this at some point.

>>>la xar. lu .i.e'unai ca lenu mi krecpa do; li'u
>>Some indication of the trailing-off threat that the English has would be
>>nice.
>Like the, um, semicolon? (Which means a pause longer than a . , but which
>not many people seem to be aware of. I suppose I'll just have to go back to
>"...". I could stick in a {po'o}, but don't want to.

Yeah, but you can't trust that.  Hell, I though it was a typo of some kind.
Beside, even if you see it you may not realize that that's the implication.
An {.y} wouldn't go amiss, but I'm not sure that even that would suffice.

~mark