Lojban Names.

For me, I've never heard anyone who really says {lndn}.  Here where I live,
the closest pronunciation is probably {LYndn} or maybe {LYndyn}, and that's
pretty much what I've heard from native speakers from the area as well,
though theirs is closer to {*landn}, which is a no-no, because of the
{la-}.  {london} doesn't really sound too far off to me, but then, what say
should a native New Jerseyan have in how to pronounce the capital of
England? :-)

Julian comments:

>> What on earth is {laibax}?  It is not even a cmene (you can't have {la}
>> inside, except after a consonant, right?)
>Isn't that the syllable {la} not the sequence of letters?  {lai} should be OK:
>it can't be interpreted as {la,i} and so there's no danger of hearing the
>word {la}.

Not quite.  It's the syllables {la}, {lai}, or {doi}.  So {lai-} blows it
anyway.  So, incidentally, does a trick Nick has occasioannly used, of
replacing {la} syllables with {la'a}.  So far as I know, although the name
ca't start with {'a}, the syllable {la} is still illegal, so you can't use
{la'a}.  As to {lai}, the reason {la} is forbidden is because it may
precede a name sans pause (as the "that-named" article).  {lai} has the
same problem, since it is the "the-mass-named" article.  Sorry.

~mark