Athelstan update 3/27/92

Some good news on Athelstan.  Next Monday, he will be released from the
acute care hospital to the National Rehabilitation Hospital (right
across the street from where he now is.  This is one of the finest
rehabilitation centers in the country, and they screen patients to
select those most likely to be helped - thus the doctors seem to be
optimistic about his prognosis.

I haven't seen him this week, but here is the word from his parents.  He
is now fully conscious.  He is off of the feeding tube and eating solid
food.  He is starting to try to feed himself, but has the skill at this
of a 2 year old.  He sits up in a chair for several hours each day (but
he still has to be tied into the chair or bed because he is confused and
agitated, and liable to try to walk out - which he can't.  He is weak on
his right side, favoring his left side strongly.  He talks a lot, but
most of it is incomprehensible - he is not forming words well.
Occasionally he says things coherently, often doing best when part of
what he wants to say involves a repetition of what some just said to
him.  Example:  "You were talking to us yesterday, but we couldn't
understand you."  Athelstan:  "But I could understand you!"  He also
does better with monosyllabic responses than more complex language.

His parents have finally gotten legal guardianship and can start getting
his financial affairs in order.

There are plans in the works for a benefit in his behalf at Balticon
science fiction convention Easter weekend.  The plans are not final, but
I've heard it will likely be either Friday or Saturday night.  I believe
the convention will be in Hunt Valley MD near Baltimore.  I'll tell
people more when I know more.

While we aren't really ready yet, there is a benefit fund being set up
primarily to help Athelstan when he reaches the point that he can get
out of the rehabilitation hospital, because it will be a while before he
can do useful work.  Money cannot be given to him directly, or spent
directly on his behalf, or it will jeopardize his Medicaid.  If
contributions are sent to me (or LLG) at the address below clearly
labelled for the Athelstan benefit fund, they will be put in that fund
when it is established.  We don't yet know whether the fund will be
tax-deductible, and I wouldn't expect it to be.

(Of course, we'll also be happy if people send money to LLG for our
activities, and to improve their balances.  We're breaking even so far
this year, but only barely.)
----
lojbab = Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
         2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA
         703-385-0273
         lojbab@grebyn.com

For information about Lojban, please provide a snail-post address to me
via mail or phone.  We are funded solely by contributions, which are
encouraged for the purpose of defraying our costs, but are not mandatory.