The word 'anaphora' (WAS: A fairy tale)

CJ FINE <C.J.Fine@bradford.ac.uk> writes:

> > Tsk, tsk. "anaphora" is a plural word, hence "anaphora _are_ ...".
>
> Thank you pedant. I don't often get these wrong - and in fact I wrote
> under the impression that "anaphora" was also the term for the process
> of using anaphors.  If it isn't, what is the term, somebody?

ANAPHORA (ANAPHORIC) A term used in grammatical description for the
process or result of a linguistic unit referring back to come
previously expressed unit or meaning. `Anaphoric reference' is one way
of marking the identity between what is being expressed and what has
already been expressed.

                        David Crystal
                        A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics (2ed)

Major