Re: sample KWIC index for Lojban dictionary

Hi

>The following is a sample of the output from a KWIC (Key Word In Context)
>tool that I wrote specifically to help automate creating the
>English-to-Lojban dictionary.  I should make clear at the outset that
>lojbab makes the decisions on the dictionary, not me; when I described this
>format to him, he sounded cautiously interested.  Feedback will assist him
>in making the final decision.

I like it, I Chopped out the relevant section, dropped into my favourite
word processor (on a Mac) and within a few minutes had a workable
dictionary.

A few comments to make it more useful. The current format is:

>abdomen, x1 is a/the  | /belly/lower trunk of x2; = betfu (bef be'u)

Could I suggest:

1) A different separator at the beginning (after the keyword). This would
make it easier to convert it to a tab.
2) Leave the word in its original place - printing is relatively cheap, and
it makes it much easier to read (check the line for 'absolute').
3) Change the order.

Putting all these together, I would like:
>>abdomen = betfu (bef, be'u) = x1 is a/the abdomen/belly/lower trunk of x2

Then a simple replacement of ' = ' by a tab makes a very workable documant.
Further replacement of ' (' by '^T(' would line the rafsi up as well if you
wished.

Chris Handley                                     chandley@otago.ac.nz
Dept of Computer Science                       Ph     (+64) 3-479-8499
University of Otago                           Fax     (+64) 3-479-8577
Dunedin, NZ
              The light at the end of the tunnel has been
                    switched off to conserve power.