Re: basti xa'urjudri

C.J.Fine@BRADFORD.AC.UK writes:
> ... Furthermore, I'm not happy about "co'aku" - as I have said in
> an earlier discussion, ZAhO pattern differently from other sumti tcita in
> that their meaning is in a sense reversed depending on whether they are
> sumti tcita or selbri tcita. "co'aku" and the like are syntactically <term>,
> ie sumti tcita lacking their sumti, so I feel they ought to have the meaning
> of sumti tcita. But this use relies on their behaving like selbri tcita, ie
>
>         "mi xabju co'uku sy."
> means
>         "mi co'u xabju sy."
> and not
>         "mi xabju sy. co'u zo'e"

Gakk!  In my eternal quest for simple and uniform deep structures, I
would like to believe that the structure of a bridi is a selbri
surrounded by zero or more "terms" all of which are generally similar
in their meta-semantic relation to the selbri.  Thus I would like to
believe that "mi co'u xabju sy." and "mi xabju sy. co'u zo'e" mean
exactly the same thing, and in fact the first is an abbreviation for
the second, which is a deep structure.

In other words, "I ceasingly live at S" is interpreted to mean "I live
at S, ceasing at unspecified time T", where in the original text T is
kind of vaguely piped in from the prenex except there's no tense tag.

I know that Lojban Central haven't given much weight to this kind of
prescription, but how much simpler things would be if it were so.

Getting off my policy ideas and onto problem solving, maybe a solution
to Colin's problem would be to imitate English:

    ca la cimast padjed zo'u se sisti fa lo nu mi ca'o xabju sy. .e
    se cfari fa lo nu mi ca'o xabju .py

    At the Ides of March (named date): Endeth the event of I continuingly
    inhabit S and beginneth the event of I continuingly inhabit P.

Dikyjvo simplifications are left to the reader.  Hmm, it's a long time
since I tried any Lojban and I'm a bit rusty; I'm not sure if zo'u is
really needed here, nor do I remember how to do a real numeric date.

                -- jimc