Re: Again Re: TECH: QUERY re cmene

I quote jimc to me (not the list):
> > Where would _laho_ fit into this?
>
> I must have missed something; in my cmavo list, "la'o" is a lerfu shift
> enabling one lerfu per letter.  Hmmm, maybe it's not in left field
> after all.  According to the BNF grammar, a letteral-string<986> is
> considered to be, among other things, a sumti-5 analogous to KOhA.
> Suppose a letteral-string is considered to mean "referent is an
> instance of that/those letter(s)".
>
> This is giving me a headache, and I'm not sure we're on the same
> wavelength anyway.  I don't think interconverting between spelled
> texts, non-spelled texts, the referent of the text, and the predicate
> (as an abstract object, independent of its secular representation)
> yielding the same referent(s) that the text would have given, will
> yield much insight into names.  But if you can make sense of this, let
> me know!

It must be borne in mind by readers of the list that my knowledge of
Lojban is fragmentary, chaotic, rudimentary, incorrect, etc. etc.

I thought _laho_ was like _la_ except you follow it by a syllable
that then counts as the terminator for a string that is a name. So

laho xo. ffffjjjj xo.

means "what is hereby described as some entity-named-_ffffjjjj_".

Have I just misremembered the cmavo's form (e.g. it is _lahi_, or
whatever) or do I also misremember the basic idea about how this
cmavo works. I recall a long discussion about it, & me & Ivan saying
that it would be politest to by default use "_laho_" rather than
_la_, to avoid distorting people's names (e.g. I felt a bit miffed
at being arbitrarily rendered _rostas._).

----
And