Re: lojban and lojban list

Hi Desmond! And welcome to Lojbanistan!

I'm cc-ing this to lojbab, who will be very happy to hear what you say.

> Dear Jorge:
>
> (1)  I am confused about the workings of the lojban list, and don't want to
> bother everyone with my problems, but hope you won't mind if I bother you.

Not at all. You're very welcome.

> How do I communicate individually with the person(?) who signs itself
> lojbab?  What is the correct address for stuff to go to the whole list?

lojbab is Bob Le Chevalier, president of The Logical Language Group.
His personal address is lojbab@ACCESS.DIGEX.NET

John Cowan, author of the reference grammar papers (if you haven't read them
yet, I strongly recommend them, you can find them at ftp.cs.yale.edu )
also posts from that same address at the moment, which sometimes is confusing.
(I start reading, and think "lojbab can't be saying this... Ah! It's from
John... :)

To send to the whole list, send to lojban@cuvmb.cc.columbia.edu

> (2)  Are there good materials available for a small isolated group of
> non-linguists that would like to learn lojban, or at least to go far enough
> to decide if it was worth learning?  How would you recommend such a group
> to proceed?

Almost every Lojban material there is is available on-line from the ftp site
I mentioned. I'm sure lojbab can give you ideas (and encouragement) for group
learning. The largest Lojban group is there in Washington DC. I'm the only
one here in Pittsburgh, so I don't have much experience with that.

You may also want to contact Nick Nicholas ( nsn@vis.mu.OZ.AU ). He's in
Melbourne, probably the closest Lojbanist to you.

Don't hesitate to ask anything else.

Sincerely,
Jorge