Re: replies re. ka & mamta be ma

>Chris:
>> Perhaps adding "ca'e" would help: does "ko klama" mean "ca'e mi minde lenu
>> do klama"?

And:
>{cahe} = "I define"? I don't understand. I suspect you might be seeking
>a rendition of "hereby", though I don't see how this might relate to
>{cahe}.

I believe you are mistaken about the meaning of "ca'e".  It's glossed as "I
define", but the reference grammar describes it as a particle which creates
a performative.  Isn't that exactly what "hereby" does?

>Anyway, if it is "hereby" you're after, then I agree it's almost
>a solution, as follows:
>   dei minde le nu do klama
>or
>  dei nu mi minde le nu do klama
>I say "almost a solution", because technically the utterances are
>assertions, subject to truth-conditions rather than satisfaction-
>conditions.

I'm not sure what ca'e does to truth vs. satisfaction conditions.  If I say
"I hereby command you to go away", can you possibly claim that the sentence
is false and in fact I *don't* command you to go away?

                     ____
 Chris Bogart        \  /  ftp://ftp.csn.org/cbogart/html/homepage.html
 Quetzal Consulting   \/   cbogart@quetzal.com