Lojban [Re: definitional debates]

> On Sun, 29 Jan 1995 arthur.nghiem@utmb.edu wrote:
> >"hyper religious."
> > >
> > >  This is a symptom, not a diagnosis.
> >              ^^^^^^^
> >   I saw your discourse with <dude> on this.
> >   My Random House Dictionary has both your and <dude's> definition
> >   next to it.
>
> What does your medical dictionary say? That's where to look, since we're
> talking about medicine here. <xxx> Medical Library is replete with various
> ones, and I've got both a Dorland's and a Stedman's in my office you're
> free to consult.
>
> This is one instance in which I'd be *very* surprised if Dr. <dude>
> disagreed with what I wrote. OTOH, as you point out, hyperreligiosity
> comes much closer to meeting the definition I use for 'sign,' not
> 'symptom.' I've never heard a patient complain of feeling hyperreligious
> except in retrospect. So it may also be the case that I disagree with what
> I wrote...
> >   I believe it is proper for the scientific MH community to ban the
> >   use of both "symptom" and "sign."
>
> What would you have us use? Especially since Dr. <dude> insists
> everything psychiatric is a symptom?
>
> >   What are the latin equivalents?
>
> These are anglicized Latin terms to begin with. Symptom from sinthoma and
> sign from signum. This is medical Latin, however, and the ancients used
> indicium or signum, since they didn't tend to pay much attention to what
> patients said.

Dear Lojban Speakers,

I would like to find out the unambiguous Lojban terms that
can replace "sign" and "symptom."  A "sign" being a positive indicator
of MH problem. A "symptom" being a cause for suspicion.

Please discuss this amongs yourselves on "LOJBAN@CUVMB.COLUMBIA.EDU" where
I can watch the discussion.

BTW There may "signs" and "symptoms" that are culturally base
    and some that definately are not.  Possibly making four terms needed.
    Maybe even more!

I wish to report your consensus to the party I was addressing.

Thank you,
Arthur Nghiem

P.S. Please don't change the Subject title on this thread.