Re: replies mainly re "ka"

la .and. joi la xorxes. cusku be di'e casnu

> > > (a) I used "dakau", not "makau".
> > Is there any difference between them? The grammar papers say they are
> > synonymous.
>
> I know a question-word can be followed by kau, and that goes into english
> as an interrogative pronoun. But how what that work for "da kau"? Is it
> just "da kau" that can get this interrogativoid interpretation,, or
> does it apply to other non-Q words when followed by kau?

Actually, any appropriate constituent can be marked by "kau".  If it has
a content, that means the answer to the indirect question is suggested (but
not asserted) to be the referent.  If it has no content of its own, e.g.
"ma" or "da" or "zo'e" for sumti, then we have an indirect question with no
pre- (or post-) supposition.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.