Re: TEXT: le gunse ku joi le lorxu

>I suspect all that stuff is there because {la lojbab. purci ke tarske djuno}.
>Anyway, I didn't mean the suggestion seriously.  I suspect that that the
>existence of x4 requires that the movement of x1 around x2 be ballistic in
>nature: a ball can {mluni}, but a person doesn't really {mluni} an oven.
>
>--
>John Cowan                                              cowan@ccil.org

Or at least if a person does mluni an oven, then you need to be able to
match all the places in the metaphor, and not just the convenient ones.

It actually had little to do with my studies in astronomy.  Even before
I was serious about Loglan, others (jimc???) were arguing about adding
gravity well places to "fall" and "orientation" places to directions and
"standards" places to colors.  This came from the invasion of
hard-science types into the Loglan community in the mid-70s, as everyone
brough their own idiosyncratic specialty knowledge to bear on their
predicates of choice.  At one point much earlier in the Lojban
development, i carried this to extremes, tending up with 4 and 5 places
on lots of things.  There are still a few remnants of this, including
mluni, but more specifically I am thinking of klupe, whose x3 and x4
were typical of a lot of substantive predicate words.

Even before Jorge, the wave of expanding place strutures subsided and
many were eliminated.  Jorge would have us eliminate still more, but I
think we have reached a good balance.  One just has to be wary NOT to
use a brivla metaphorically unless you can metaphorize all of the places
of the place structure.

lojbab