Re: Vocatives (was: Questions)

On Mon, 15 May 1995, John Cowan wrote:
> ...  To get the attention of someone named Bear, you have to say
> "ju'i la cribe", for "ju'i cribe" will probably get a growl in response.  :-)

Now I'm confused (so what else is new?).  Is {la cribe} a valid sumti?
If so, the rules for finding cmene seem a little confusing.  Upon
hearing {la cribe} I have two choices:  I can assume that this is the
complete name, or I can assume that it's the beginning of a longer cmene
and continue waiting for a pause after a consonant.  It's impractical to
do both, so I might make an error (although I can tell if I did).

Of course, this is a non-issue in practice, as intonation and reasonably
short cmene will provide enough cues.

co'o mi'e. dilyn. trstn.