Re: Quantifiers (was Re: A modest proposal #2: verdicality)

jorge@phyast.pitt.edu writes:>
> I hadn't noticed that. I knew that there were the two possibilities
> {le se cusku ku pe mi} and {le se cusku pe mi ku}, which parse differently,
> but apparently mean the same thing, but I thought you could add as many
> relative clauses as you wanted without need of {zi'e}. It is strange
> that you can have two but no more.

Let me try and explain the difference between these two.  It's only
really significant when the outside quantifier is not {ro}.  E.g.

        re le mu ninmu poi melbi ku poi plana cu zvati
        Two of the five (women who are beautiful) who are plump are here

The inside relative clause goes with the inside quantifier, so I'm
talking about five beautiful women.  And I'm saying that of those, two
of the plump ones are present - the outside relative clause corresponds
to the outside quantifier.

ta'o For those of you confused about your genders:

nanmu         nau  man
x1 is a man/men; x1 is a male humanoid person [not necessarily adult]
1k 332    [word dispreferred in metaphor/example as sexist;
(use remna or prenu)]; (cf. ninmu, remna, prenu, makcu, nanla, bersa)

ninmu nim     ni'u woman                'women'
x1 is a woman/women; x1 is a female humanoid person [not necessarily adult]
1k 130    [word dispreferred in metaphor/example as sexist;
(use remna or prenu)]; (cf. nanmu, remna, prenu, makcu, nixli)
--
Iain Alexander                    ia@stryx.demon.co.uk
                    I.Alexander@bra0125.wins.icl.co.uk