Re: translation exercises:1

Jorge:
> la kir cusku di'e
> > > e.  doi marca. .i me do cu prami
> >         ^^^^^^
> >               Can cmeme end with vovel?
> Yes and no. Any selbri can be used as a name, so those kind of names
> do end with a vowel. It is not clear what happens with gismu-form
> names like {marca} that are not real gismu. Someone once used {la
> melbi burno} and {la pitsi burgo} for "Melbourne" and "Pittsburgh",
> even though most of those gismu don't exist.

The nice thing about {melbi borno} is that it connotes "beauty". I
wrote it to Nick, who is very fond of Melbourne (I preferred Sydney,
myself, but no Victorian would agree).

I think using {pitsi}, {burgo}, {rocta}, {jorge}, {jambi}, etc. as cmene
is like calling someone in English "Frimiculation", which is not an
English word, but clearly has the form of a latinate nominalization.

> la and cusku di'e
> > ko cargau le klupe fo le zunle
> Which is right, but what does it mean? Is turning to the left
> clockwise or counterclockwise?

I never know in English, either.

> My dictionary says that "levogiration" is counterclockwise. Is that
> Lojban's convention, too?

I vaguely recall us discussing this on the list once before. I or
someone pointed out that "widdershins"/"withershins" (="anticlockwise")
means going round something with one's left side nearest to it
(it's the wrong way to walk round a graveyard, and has various other
sinister connotations). And I think it was jimc who pointed out the
word "deasil" meaning "clockwise", and cognate with "dexter".

This seems like a good convention to me. But what should the lujvo
be {zul(ter)carna} = anticlockwise & {prit(ter)carna} = clockwise?

> > > {It's waste food in McDonald's.}
> > McDonald's is a restaurant located in detritus. (Which is true: I live
> > opposite one.) (Actually, that translates {lo festi}.)
> The new {gusta} doesn't have a location place, you are probably
> looking at the old gi'uste.

That's annoying. I spent ages formatting my giuste into a Word table.
Do you happen to remember the name of the ftp site and directory and
filename for the new giuste?

---
And