Re: On and around "let"

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> I don't think there is much more than that to wrap the mind around. Even
> if it's not used much, English does have or had some sort of third person
> imperative. The tense of the verb in "long live the queen" is the same as
> the one in "live long and prosper". Whether we call it imperative or something
> else doesn't really matter.

How's that again?  "Live long and prosper" is straight 2nd person.  Note
Spock's reply:  "I shall do neither, for I have killed my captain and my
friend."  This reply is 1st person, indicating that Spock takes the sentence
to be directed at him, with implicit 2nd person subject.  Of course, there is
more ".aise'inai" in this than true imperative.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.