Re: Incredible!

>la .and. cusku di'e
>> There are 2 kinds of syllable, C(@) and CV. @ is schwa and can be
>> omitted between certain consonant pairs. Cmavo are all of form CV
>> or CVCV or CVCVCV, etc. Gismu are all of form C(@)CV (with 17 C
>> and 5 V, that gives 1445 possible gismu; Lojban actually has 7 V
>> phonemes and 22 C phonemes, so that gives 2904 possible gismu).

Guaspi does something similar -- its gismu are monosyllabic but can have
several consonants at the beginning and end; also it counts some liquids and
things as vowels, I think.  The use of tones for syntax probably allows some
overlap between cmavo and gismu -- not sure about that though.

I don't know how the numbers work out for guaspi, but in your scheme you've
got the gismu space packed pretty tightly.  (1300 gismu out of 1445 or 2904
possible words)  I wonder how far you can go with that before the lack of
redundancy makes it hard to speak the language in a noisy room or over the
phone.  The cmavo are already like that, but I only actually use and
understand about half of them (less?) so it's hard to know if they'll cause
that problem yet.

What if we constructed the gismu CCVCV/CVCCV as they are now, generated from
the six source languages, but constrained in such a way as to make the CCV
portion unique for each gismu.  That CCV part would then be the only rafsi
for that gismu.  I don't think that is possible without using your nalmelbi
[pe'i .u'u] consonant cluster scheme, though.  Timothy Miller's Ferengi
language takes the approach of jamming consonants together willy-nilly with
schwas as needed, and it's not a pretty sight (sorry, Timothy!)  Could we
eke out 1300 by allowing a few more consonant combinations, 3-letter combos
("str") and adding syllabic liquids and sibilants?  Throwing "th" and "dh"
into the alphabet?  Umlauts?  Tones?  Clicks?  Farts and armpit noises?
*Anything* but random consonant clusters! :-)

[pe'i morphology changes are worth discussing, but I don't actually advocate
any change.  se'i the language is sufficient as is -- za'a we're only
suggesting changes because the jai za'o schedule is giving us too much time
on our hands to be perfectionists.]