jei

>Compare with the two uses of "where" as indirect question and as place
>holder:
>
>        I know where John went. (indirect question: I know
>                                the answer to the question
>                                "Where did John go?")
>
>        I know the place where John went. (Place holder: He went to New York,
>                                           and I know New York because
>                                           I've been there.)
>

>If I know that John went to New York, that means that I know where John
>went, but not that I know New York.
>
>"Whether" is always used for indirect questions like the first sentence.
>{jei} as officially defined gives a number, as if there was another
>abstraction {xei} that meant "the place where <bridi> takes place",
>which could be used to translate the second sentence, but not the first.

If I understand you, then you do not like jei for "whether" because
if the truth value of broda is, say 1.0, then to say
"mi djuno le jei broda" means "I know the number 1".

If I understand this correctly, then I agree.  You should properly say
"mi djuno ledu'u li xokau cu jei broda", which I would likely abbreviate
as "mi djuno tu'a lejei broda" or "mi djuno fi lejei broda".

lojbab